[dundee] iptables nuances and best practices question

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:13:06 UTC 2008

Thanks guys, I was doing a start of term clean and when going through
some old config files from a previous job. I've got both rules in
place I figured I had a reason either that or I forgot to remove one,
for the range rule I was pulling addresses with a script in the rule
so it would handle changes to the range and server/router address but
yeah the interface rule seems cleaner. Like I said I had both in place
so I ran a test last night and the results are slightly different.

pkts    bytes

1356    96461   <-- Range rule
1064    69933   <-- Interface rule

Well the config had a few vlans as well as a bridge so 'phear my mad
1337 skillz' apparently, also I prefer pirates in place of ninjas but
I've heard of fwbuilder, its one of those things I never have time to
try out.

As for why I hate the legitimate http://www.opendns.com/ basically its
what Robert said, every domain exists and in some situations where I'm
prevented from locking down stuff the way I like people use it on
there own computer and complain when the domain isn't working... thats
part of the reason for the those rules.

Kris