[dundee] Naming Conventions

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 23:34:32 UTC 2008

I see what you're saying and there are arguments for both, personally
I prefer themes. The reasoning I use is if you name a server say
mail01 and later in its lifetime it also does faxing or something else
it can be confusing for some users to have to connect to mail to send
faxes not the best example - I had a good one I use to use in these
situations and it dealt with the cname argument but I can't remember
it right now.

If you have something named win2k3invmail01 or similar, I've seen
people use serial numbers or asset IDs as names it can create
confusion. I find descriptive names can cause problems across multiple
sites also.

I admit an esoteric naming scheme arbitrarily picked with no structure
can be just as confusing, when I do something like this I try to make
the scheme fit the function so in the case of gods using messengers as
mail servers. I also try to document as must as possible to mitigate
the hit-by-a-bus-factor, outside of the standard wikis or a binder
locked in a safe, if its a Windows server I'll stick notes and
information on the wallpaper and for Linux I'll leave a text file in
the root account or put up a login banner. I suppose theres a security
by obscurity argument for themed names too.

Arguments both ways like I said, I just wanted to see what everyone was using.

Kris