[dundee] DRM - Making people criminals (either way)

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:23:52 UTC 2008

On 14 Oct 2008, at 2:47 am, Rick Moynihan wrote:
> Now, I never said...

My 2nd response was formed, in part, in response to the "gold pools"
comment, so some bits don't apply to your comic. But, for the sake of
a good argument, I'll ignore those bits or it'll be like untangling
spaghetti! :)

>   The comic implies the opposite.  That people
> are criminals for legitimately circumventing DRM.

You can't legitimately become a criminal ;) Just a pedantic joke. I
know what you're getting at - people are stupid for purchasing
Microsoft products, right? ;)  Sorry, couldn't help myself. I promise
to be serious now.

> To equate piracy with theft is also unfair, because it isn't.

I disagree. Theft is simply taking that which is not given. It is not
connected to the ability to reproduce or what you have in stock or
anything like that. An infinite, completely reproducible object can
be stolen. That something is practically unlimited does not imply the
right to take it. Piracy, by definition, requires theft and is an
extension of theft. This doesn't even take into account that if a
work is taken without permission then the producer receives no money
(another form of theft).

> Your email analogy doesn't really work.  You're right that I use
> passwords to protect my email assets, but to imply that DRM's ok
> merely because they're protecting their assets is to imply that it's
> ok for me to install spyware on your PC, so I can check you're not
> reading my email.  The difference is that DRM aggressively polices
> you, where as a password passively protects my privacy.

I don't think that the location that security is applied necessarily
makes it aggressive or passive, or even that it's "aggression" is an
issue - both methods prompt for a key on access. DRM is applied on
the device that reads the data, just as the password is (on the
mailserver). If your emails were moved onto my box along with the
security for them then it would also, in your terms, be aggressive
and not passive.  Therefore, I don't think your statement holds.
(This also ignores the fact that the mailserver doesn't need to know
where you are, since a networked resource becomes part of the same de
facto system).

Also, "spyware" is a bit of a weasel word. They're not spying on you
through application of DRM. Spying is not restricting. If I send you
an encrypted file and give you key to decrypt it with, then I'm not
spying on you. If I give you a piece of software that you can only
use on one machine that decrypts the file then I'm not spying on you.
Restricting your access to that file, yes. Collecting and reporting
information i.e. spying, no. (unless you count sending your password
to the mailserver as spying too?)

> You mention trust, but it's trust that DRM gets backwards.  Why should
> we trust a 3rd party corporation to police us?  Why should we allow
> them to renegotiate their terms on us for content we have already
> bought?  Why give them more control?  Negotiation in DRM is one way,
> and it's just another form a lock in, but with far broader
> consequences.

When it comes to trust, I don't trust a 3rd party full stop. Whether
that be a corporation or any other entity, such as a teenager, I
don't have to trust them. In fact, I know that corporations *do* want
to spy on me and restrict me unfairly. I also know that a lot of
people *do* like to copy and keep music without any intention to pay
for it. Both are greedy, both are violating the terms of fair use and
I don't see why I should side with one or the other. Since both sides
are equally to blame and have equally valid arguments about each
other, then I can fully _understand_ why DRM is applied and will
continue.

> I agree, but find it worrying how you seem to believe DRM should be
> imposed on people without choice.

It *is* a choice. Just as the GPL is a choice. If you don't like the
terms then go elsewhere.  Buy cd's instead - no lock in, no theft. Of
course, if the contract restricts other rights then you the have
right to fight the contract in that particular instance. That
wouldn't _necessarily_ mean that DRM should be removed completely,
but in a particular instance.

I haven't confused freedom with price, I'm well aware of the free as
in speech/beer argument. I'm more of a BSD than a GPL man.

Btw, email is not the easiest way to be tactful especially when I
already lack tact, so just in case it happens, don't think I'm
getting at you personally. It's just an interesting argument.

Iain