[dundee] The Distro Swap Shop

Jason Cormie Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 23:39:15 UTC 2008

Kris Davidson wrote:
> While were in that area. Theres a few open source apps on the
> University workstations as it is. Is there any chance of getting Open
> Office deployed or at least some parts of Open Office? If so do we
> need to talk to or lobby someone?

Yup, lobby your academics, and when the next (yearly) Information Services
survey comes around FILL IT IN.
We will respond to pressure, but the demand has to be visible (ie worth the
effort).
Few of our support staff would see the point of having two office suites on
the same PC, it would double our office support role and the fact that few of
our staff even know about OO would make them against the idea from the start.
 I think it would take a lot of coercion before you saw that.  An ODF plugin
for office on the other hand, sound much more reasonable.

If their are specific apps needed for coursework or research, then get your
tutor to email the helpdesk with a request.

> I work around it now by exporting to PDF then printing, saving to doc
> format isn't ideal and sometimes screws up. I mean giving out CDs is
> going to pretty useless if the workstations don't support the formats.

I studied with the open uni a couple of years ago, they send out staroffice
with pretty much every course, but would only accept submissions in RTF or DOC
format...

--
Jason Cormie