[dundee] Open Office - Baby Steps

Jason Cormie Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 15:11:38 UTC 2008

STEVENS, GRAEME wrote:
> If the Uni wont even consider adding open office in the forseeable, then, what about Zoho?

At a stab in the dark, I'd say no for the same reason we have uni mailboxes
instead of allowing students to use gmail/hotmail/etc, control.

Do you really want to be storing all your stuff with some third party?
What happens if you need something restored from 3 years ago,etc?

> Its online - No Installation
> You can export to OO or Office, so when both are available, its still relevant.
>
> Keeping your work on a an Internet based office has its benefits i.e access.
>
> That way, you introduce the concept of freedom but without the Uni technicians having to do anything.

If students were using it enmasse we'd still have to support to some degree,
adjust our training courses, train support staff, so its not quite zero cost.

What freedom?
If I could whack it on a Uni server, this would sound very cool, but as far as
I can see zoho is a proprietary product that runs on someone elses servers...