[dundee] An O.S. (4.4mb) written in Assembly Language

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:03:52 UTC 2009

I knew this would catch most people's attention, I will give a quick
round-up of some the main news stories last week for people that are
interested.
There is a lightweight O.S. written in assembly language and is only
4.4.MB in size called Kolibri, seemingly it only takes 2 seconds to
boot:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6194

You can download the binary iso image from here if you want to try it
out in a virtual machine:

http://kolibrios.org/?p=Download

Talking about virtual machines, VMWare has released an open source
version of its virtual desktop software. I wonder why?:

 http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/02/04/open-game-on-the-virtual-desktop/

Brazil is going big on virtualized Linux desktops in education:

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/02/now-brazil-goes-big-on-gnulinux-desktop.html

The Philippines is going to use Linux in its educational environment:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/204950/23_000_linux_pcs_forge_education_revolution_philippines

The Canadian Government is looking at open source:

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/02/canadian-government-considers-open.html

IBM is building a new supercomputer for the U.S. government:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9127238&intsrc=hm_topic

At least this guy builds his himself:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9127150&source=rss_topic122

For the ethical hackers rumours are that Kapersky has been hacked:

Unix/Linux number plates for car enthusiasts:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/02/12-awesome-unix-custom-license-plates/

Finally a couple of Aussies have shown that Joe Public in Sydney don't
know the difference between Windows 7 and KDE 4, watch the video here:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm