[dundee] Open Curatorial Practice

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 04:48:39 UTC 2009

this is something i'm looking to explore.  currently my cathedral of
art at www.gaudiepod.org.uk is doing little more than making
encouraging sounds to the idea of the bazaar.  ideally it is to remove
art from the make short term financial gains or die paradigm.  art
should not be motivated by profiteering.  thats how we end up with the
likes of most of the industry made formulaic "pop" rubbish.
so anyways, i've been working on building a website to cater to my
artistic needs, allowing a mixture of both purchase hard-copies at
fixed prices, and soft-copies available for donations of values set by
the purchaser's appreciation, conscience and ability.
pie in the sky goal of being able to cater for artist's living costs
(free energy,food,etc).

but silly old me, i built a cathedral anyway. didnt want to be handing
the idea out to anyone else until i was sure i could get it working
for myself first.
~which is silly isnt it.  completely goes against the bazaar...
...the bazaar could have something built to a broadly mutual level far
sooner than waiting for the preisthood stuck up a spire to come up
with the answers.

...like the long overdue issue gaudiepod.org.uk has had trying to find
how to make the image content of each wordpress post appear as the
background image.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/gaudiepodforum/index.php?showtopic=80
css is such a doll if u want every page to look the same, but need to
change something to be unique each post, and one really needs to know
more than basic mid-90s html.

aaaanyways...
the gaudiepod forum is built on something a little more tried, tested,
and suited to needs/skillsets, and more to the point, bazaar-ish.
all* folks i know are being automatically upped to "trusted" level,
where they're given the powers of moderators..

*nearly all.  ;)

sufice to say, i've some long way to go before the gaudiepod idea
takes off in full.  though large format fine prints are available,
even if the image presentation is still sorely lacking  (many many
thanks for anyone who offers helpful info to sort that out), and any
implimentation in real terms of it's full remit will likely have to
wait until the likes of 3d printers and the rep-rap evolves into a
full fledged star-trek style replicator.

sure, take the brakes off art, just dont cut the brake cables.   art
wont get very far if u strangle all the artists with poverty.

amen for the farmer, without him, we'd scarcely know the artist and
the scientist.

to attempt to answer your numbered questions with concise soundbite
length answers:

>    1. What are your personal views about the ŒCathedral¹ and the ŒBazaar¹?

the bazaar can be a lively friendly mess of evolving ideas, a
cathedral model is comparatively stagnant.   the bazaar, far less easy
to comprehend the whole, but far easier to comprehend the output.
the cathedral may be compelled to deceive everyone, the bazaar may
have bubbles of deception quelled in the crowd of many eyes.

>    2. If you subscribe to one of these models how much of it applies to the
> whole of your life?

i reccognise the value of the bazaar above the value of the cathedral.
 the bazaar does not entirely inhibit the possibility of having small
cathedrals within the bazaar, the idea of bazaars in a cathedral is
usually either abhorrently rejected, or held in closed doors, rather
than on the  kirk green for all to share.

>    3. Do you jump from one to another to suit your needs?

to an extent.  it's not ideal as it is.   currently it's kinda like
offering everyone their own cathedral, where we're all our own
preisthood, and all able to leave the cathedral to meet at the bazaar.

>    4. Besides in a software engineering world, can the Cathedral and the
> Bazaar be seen any where else? or could it be applied to something else?

"governance".  scrap the charade of "representative" democracy so we
may opt for direct e-democracy, a more inteligent open-source-ly
evolving bazaar-esque method of evolving and implimenting ideas.

every moment of our lives... it hints at the level of
equality/arrogance a person has.

a cathedralesque mindset will be looking to be like a dog, needing a
master, or to be master.
a bazaaresque mindset will consider all as equals, and would interact
with less impossition.

> I believe we need to get art out of its Cathedral ­ could this metaphor
> work?

i think the metaphor does go a long way.  but to impliment something
in practice, one has to move beyond the metaphor, find method,
technique or innate ability/quality/aptitude that helps one realize
this reality.

--
http://www.gaudiepod.org.uk gaudiepod.org.uk website gallery and
forum.  prints available to buy.  digital images available for price