[dundee] Fwd: [ubuntu-uk] How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps?

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 16:32:17 UTC 2009

that's a very interesting article... thanks for that...

I guess a real addition to this would be some sudo action..

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/program/shell/bruteforce.htm

solutions? run your browser in a chroot jail? use a virtual machine for browsing?
make your machine only run code with a valid certificate (can you do that for shell scripts)

linux is not more secure than windows....but it's no less, and it's not completly stupid!
but if a user is driving a car, and dedcides he/she want to drive it to a wall, then what
are you suppose to do? vista would probably ask....

I guess the next evolution for gnome/jde is specfic application and data object security?

i.e. can firefox access my address book? can firefox read/write files to /home/secretdata?

discuss...

## short passwords with 2 identical syllables				# 25 minutes
# first try syllables of 1-2 char, then 3 char
for l in 2 1 3  ; do
	generatewords $l $l a | while read part1; do

		echo $part1$part1 ;

		# while we're at it, include capitalization
		cap=$( echo ${part1:0:1} | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]' )
		part0=$cap${part1:1}
		echo $part0$part1

		# and camel case
		echo $part0$part0

		# and all caps
		cap=$( echo $part1 | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]' )
		echo $cap$cap
		sudo < $capcap ;-)
	done
done