[dundee] Moving forward with Linux

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:46:35 UTC 2009

2009/2/25 Alan S Frost <alan at biziserve.co.uk>

>  Hi One and All,
>
> I follow the threads that this list produces with great interest and value
> some of the gems that materialise. Thank you all.
>
> I have several questions.
>
> Would Debian be considered the most secure and stable production capable
> Linux on the market currently? If not, which one would be? What advantage(s)
> does this new operating system have over Fedora 7?

You will need an O.S. that has long term support e.g. Centos 5.2, Debian
Lenny, Ubuntu Server LTS. Fedora has only support for approx. 15 months for
a particular version e.g 2 versions + 3 months. Support for Fedora 8 is now
finishing as Fedora 10 has been out for a few months.

> I currently manage my hosting business on a Fedora 7 box with Plesk CP
> (so-so OK, but easy to use.) and qmail (ugh - I formerly used Postfix -
> brilliant).

I can't help you on this as I havn't used these administration panels but I
do remember last year at one of the meetings someone was talking about
Webmin, so if here reads this perhaps he can give his tuppence worth on
this.

Gordon