[dundee] Moving forward with Linux

Alan S Frost alan at biziserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 18:58:52 UTC 2009

Hi One and All,

I follow the threads that this list produces with great interest and
value some of the gems that materialise. Thank you all.

I have several questions.

Would Debian be considered the most secure and stable production capable
Linux on the market currently? If not, which one would be? What
advantage(s) does this new operating system have over Fedora 7?

I currently manage my hosting business on a Fedora 7 box with Plesk CP
(so-so OK, but easy to use.) and qmail (ugh - I formerly used Postfix -
brilliant).

My business is now growing and I wish to upgrade to a new server so I am
going through the due diligence associated with the migration.

My requirements are;

   1. A fast server (dual-core, quad-core?)
   2. A linux flavour that is both secure and easily managed
   3. Three TB+ of NAS disk storage for archiving and backups
   4. A control panel / management front-end that is easy to use. (What
      do you think of Webmin?)
   5. A good strategy of migrating from the old sever to the new one.
      (The one good thing about Plesk CP is you can use it to migrate
      from one Plesk server to the next.  The bad thing is Plesk
      hog-ties your ability to manage otherwise free OSS by using
      heavily customised software versions [e.g. qmail and spamassassin]
      which can crash the server if you mess it up!)

Your thoughts and comments would be gratefully received.

Also, does anyone know of any Linux System Administrators who would be
available to manage my server part-time?

Many thanks in advance,

Alan

Alan Frost

T: 01764 650966
E: alan at biziserve.co.uk
W: www.biziserve.co.uk <http://www.biziserve.co.uk>

Providing Bespoke Web Integrations to Small and Medium businesses. We
Manage the Technical Issues whilst "You Concentrate On Your Business."