[dundee] How to tell if you are a techie, part 2 (or 0010)

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 20:01:36 UTC 2009

If you laugh at the last comment for this discussion*, and your wife / blokie
/ significant other doesn't understand why it's funny and you can't talk for
laughing.

Or maybe that's just me.

* not to mention having followed the discussion, of course.

[Quote...]

No. g(x)=1/x does not 'attain' infinity at x=0. It is undefined at x=0. (To
quickly see why, look at what happens when x approaches 0 from below and what
happens when x approaches 0 from above, you get two different results and
there is no canonical choice, so g(x)=1/x is undefined at x=0).

As g(x) is undefined at 0, then for all x>0 there is a real number k with
g(x)<k. This is not a useful characterisation to make.

The correct way to understand the 'infinite' behaviour of g(x)=1/x is to say
that it is unbounded in any neighbourhood of 0. Or in other words, for any
number N there exists a (probably small) number e such that for all 0<x<e we
have g(x)>N.

This statement is the mathematically rigorous way of saying g(x) tends to
infinity as x tends to 0 (from above).

Exponential functions behave in a similar way: f(x)=2^x is not defined at
x=infinity in the same way that g(x) is not defined at x=0. But again for any
number N there exists a (probably large) number e such that for all
e<x<infinity we have f(x)>N.

Of course you are right that 1/x does not "attain" infinity; Sorry, my maths
vocabulary is slighty rusty. However, there is still an important distinction
between the behaviour of 1/x and 2^x; unlike 1/x, 2^x is defined for any
finite x. The question of it being defined or not at infinity is a moot point;
to my knowledge, infinity is not generally considered part of the domain of
any function. What's more, you cannot say that for any real number x there is
a k such that k > 1/x, since this has no sense for x=0. However for k > 2^x it
does have sense and is true. Consequently, this is a useful characterisation
to make.

To get back on topic, my point was that the id generation will take inifinite
time for a finite number of occupied IDs (1000000), so the execution time
cannot depend exponentially on the number of occupied IDs (at least it cannot
be dominated by an exponential term near where it matters).

This discussion is getting less and less funny as it goes along. It is,
however, still a little funny. It appears to be asymptotic humour.

[End Quote]

--

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle