[dundee] DNS aliases question

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:33:41 UTC 2010

On 19 April 2010 13:19, Brett Sheffield <brett at gladserv.com> wrote:
> Rick Moynihan wrote:
>
> Depends on your reason for doing this.  If it's to save typing:
>
> goog=www.google.com
> ping $goog
>
> /etc/hosts only does the equivalent of A and PTR records.
>
> However, you could add
>  search bar.com
> to /etc/resolv.conf which would allow:
>
> ping foo

Yes, this is the reason to do it.  I did actually add "search bar.com"
to resolv.conf prior to sending the email.  However it discovered the
service via mDNS (I'm actually doing this on OS X :-( ).  I'm assuming
this is because mDNS is higher in the pecking the order than my
resolv.conf entry.

The discovery via mDNS isn't a problem, as the machine is one and the
same, it's more that I couldn't test this setting easily on site.

Testing this with "search google.com" and running ping www, doesn't
seem to work however...  Any ideas, or am I being stupid?

Also resolv.conf gets rewritten by dhcp, so I might have to hack
around that or chmod it :-\

R.