[dundee] project ideas

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 21 22:29:41 UTC 2010

2010/1/21 Bjo McMullen <joe.mcmullen at gmail.com>

> Hi guys, im trying to think of a project based on network security, was
> planning to do botnet analysis ansd detection but would like to hear ideas
> from other people. Any ideas most welcome
>
>   Firstly Joe, you have to state at what project level are you aiming at,
if academic, e.g. honours,masters etc. as this determines the depth and
complexity of the investigation. If it is academic, the main questions for
any type of project are:  a) What are the project aims?;  b) Can I obtain
the appropriate historical background to this subject e.g. papers,
proceedings of conferences etc. to justify my investigation ( A short
bibliography)?;  c) Will I have the proper materials and methodology
available to me to carry out my project? (sometimes a small pilot project
may determine the feasibility of a project);  d) Relating to c) in regards
to computer security, will the University let you carry out this project?
i.e. breaking no rules and remember that there are ethical rules (forms have
to be filled out that is presented to the department ethical committee
regarding methodology &  data collected); e) Can l do this in the time
allotted for the project?

I personally can't give you any ideas simply because I don't know the level
you are aiming nor do I know what your strengths and skills are. I hope the
above information was useful to you.

Gordon