[dundee] XBox Linux - USB, soft-modding

Nicholas Walker tel0seh at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:49:14 UTC 2010

I did this exploit with an action replay. Perhaps you would have more
success with that.

On Jan 31, 2010 6:39 PM, "Rick Moynihan" <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey people,

After a long stint of serving as an over-spec DVD player, I decided to
bite the bullet and get Linux running on my old xbox.  I have a copy
of the right version of Mech Warrior 2 for the softmod, and I have an
Xbox-USB adapter that should in theory allow me to plug a USB flash
drive in, and copy the bootloader exploit onto the xbox.

Unfortunately for me, none of the four flash drives I own and have
tried are recognised by the xbox.  With the xbox either popping up a
warning saying the memory stick is damaged, or it just completely
ignores it :-(  This is after dd'ing the trojan'd save game to the usb
device... And yes, I've tried all four sizes of save game image.

Is there anyone on this list, who's done the softmod bootloader
exploit that has a compatible flash drive which works, that I could
maybe borrow?

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_USB_Compatibility_List

Incidentally the dd process seems to have nuked one of my memory sticks:

$ dmesg
[ 5692.959971] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 5692.959975] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[ 5692.961278] usb-storage: device found at 2
[ 5692.961282] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 5694.101290] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[ 5694.372036] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

What with my luck, it would be my new £30 Lacie USB key...  Any ideas
on how to recover it, mkfs won't work, as it isn't yet listed under
/dev/sdX

R.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on irc.lug.org.uk