[dundee] Copiers have hard drives?

Paul Lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 14 23:51:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:36 +0200, Axel wrote:
> Interesting, but why they have a hard disc? I mean from a technical
> point it isn't necessary. If it necessary to store a document
> temporarily, it can store into the RAM and after switching off the
> machine all sensible data past away.

Our new all singing all dancing copiers / fax /scanner / printers, allow
users to send jobs to the printer, but for confidentiality, do not print
until the user is at the printer and enters a pin number. Also means if
you print something in error, just dont go and collect it, as all jobs
are wiped after 24hrs.
They also scan to PDF and allow and work as an ftp server to allow you
to transfer the scan to your PC later.
Faxes are scanned to hard drive then transmitted after (via phone line
or via TCP/IP to another networked printer).
Data on the hard drive is encrypted - can say to what level, suppose I
should read the manual - ive heard that before.

Paul