[dundee] No wonder CompSci grads are unemployed

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:53:06 UTC 2010

The main problem is they require no previous knowledge so people think
'Hey I chat on MSN/AOL and use websites, maybe I should study
computing'. Plus most of the lecturers have no passion for the subject
having come from somewhere else, that's not to say a Physics or
Electrical Engineering lecturer can't have a passion, just
generalising, and none of the lecturers have worked in the field even
on sabbatical.

Granted Higher and A-Level Computing are complete crap but it may have
some improvement to require it or an equivalent. The stuff I was
taught in 4th year, I'd would have taught in 1st year were I putting
together a course.

Finally colleges and universities seem to not want to fail people.