[dundee] No wonder CompSci grads are unemployed

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 08:54:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 07:52:44 +0000
Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Plus most of the lecturers have no passion for the subject
> having come from somewhere else, that's not to say a Physics or
> Electrical Engineering lecturer can't have a passion, just
> generalising, and none of the lecturers have worked in the field even
> on sabbatical.

That may be all too true. I'll never forget when I was struggling with
my dissertation and went to see my supervisor who was a lecturer in
distributed computing.

"This CORBA stuff, I'm really struggling with it. Can you help?"
"What's CORBA?"
"It's a standard for distributed objects. I thought that was your area?"
"I only do the theoretical side."
"Oh."
"Never mind, what are you having trouble with exactly?"
"I just can't get my head around the API."
"What's an API?"
*FACEPALM*