[dundee] I'm a git (hopefully not really... what do you call people that use git?)

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 14:27:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:16:59 +0000
Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I knew that if I'm talking about git, I needed to at least try and be
> amusing... and didn't want to insult anyone else... so yeah :P I'm a
> git
>
> Anyway, I have a project, I have a git repository for it. It will
> build libraries. I want to make another project and pull in parts of
> the first repository, in particular the compiled libraries and
> headers. I am trying to look for tutorials online for making git
> modules and pulling in modules with a git clone automagically. I'm at
> a loss though. I have no idea what various guides are telling me,
> whether it's what I want. Can anyone suggest something that might
> help?

I know git pretty well but I don't quite understand the context. git is
very flexible so there's no "standard" method for this kind of stuff.
You should use whatever method works best for you. Give us more detail
if you can.

A git "submodule" isn't really much of a special thing. It's a bit
like a mount point for placing one repository within another. All the
parent repository stores is the URL and the commit hash. If you want to
pull in submodules automatically, just add --recursive to the clone
command.

James