[dundee] TayLug - light blue touchpaper and don't retire...

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 10:10:19 UTC 2010

> Hi there,
>
> I've only been a part of this list for literally a few hours and I can't
> seem to find a the previous messages in this thread in the archives, so
> please forgive me if I speak out of line or go over something that's
> already been concluded.
>
> From what I gather the email I just read from James in response to Rick
> Moynihan, there's a discussion about whether TayLUG should be a
> student-run University-affiliated organisation or an independent entity
> with the freedoms that entail. Am I correct in that assumption, and if
> so, what's the catalyst for this discussion? Has something happened
> recently that's highlighted the weaknesses of the current system?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

No, you are absolutely not out of line - we want discussion and comments.
Don't worry, you haven't walked into a battle.

If you read the thread that azmodie posted, and this one...

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/dundee/2010-November/008619.html

...you should get an overview.

From what I understand, for historical and financial reasons, a University
society was formed when the original TayLug had almost died. We now have two
societies (sort-of : Gordon's email in the second thread explains it well:
it's a bit confusing as TayLug is a sort of embodied mailing list).

Some TayLuggers and students have expressed to me (and others) that TayLug
(the non-University organisation) might benefit both groups by being the more
active partner, which might spur more of us non-students to take
responsibility and help out the students a bit more. I don't know what other
opinions are as they are not yet being expressed here.

Perhaps TayLug should expand more, to become a more general computing (or
FOSS) society: we tend to talk about more than Linux and more than Open Source
and used to have links with the Scottish Developers as well. Perhaps we do not
need a TayLug, we just need to change the organisation of the Society a bit.
Perhaps we don't want to change anything.
Personally, I just want some discussion about it all: although Gordon's email
explains that we are TayLuggers and Society members, I always feel a little
wary of treading on the Society's toes - I don't think I even pay any dues.