[dundee] war stories

Stuart McCulloch Anderson root-theos at nxfifteen.com
Sat Sep 10 18:17:32 UTC 2011

I will leave this up to 'the group' to decided how much this is a war story or
just a case of "You Bloody Fool!"

During a normal system update using APT X11 was updated along with ~30 other
programs, so in my defence I didn't specifically notice X was getting changed.

Beginning of the next week, after a power cut, when I turn the PC back on
Gnome failed too start. The only feedback from the system is restarting X in
'fail-safe' mode.

Being somewhat tired, maybe even a little hot headed. I decided the best
solution would be just reinstalling Ubuntu and the Nvidia graphics drivers. So
that's what I did. Again in my defence with out the PC it didn't seem much of
an option asking Google for help.

Over time the mind wondered and with a little alcoholic lubrication the events
of this stressful Monday went . . . . .

In time as you would expect, the almost identical situation repeated but
having already 'decided' the solution was reinstalling so I looked out my
trusty CD and started the reinstall. Again the mind just went . . . . .

It wasn't till the forth repeat of the same problems I thought to investigate
the real problem. As some might have noticed I run with the proprietary Nvidia
drivers, so every time APT updated X11 the drivers needed recompiled it just
took me slightly longer than I'd like to admit to make the connection.

Now if you have stuck with me to the end, the thought I'd like to leave you
with is this. If you are a newbie to Linux or even just feeling slightly slow,
when your machine fails to load with no indication why where do you go for
help when there's no Firefox? Anyway, that has been my story now you can
decided if it was a war or stupidity story

--
As always, if you have been, thanks for reading
* Stuart McCulloch Anderson   |  http://nx15.com