[Durham] Swap fills up then out of memory errors

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 17:59:58 UTC 2012

On 18/02/2012 10:29, Martin Ward wrote:
> I don't think that a mixer plugin and a volume daemon (xfce4-mixer-plu
> and xfce4-volumed) should be taking nearly 400MB between them!
> (I am assuming that the "total_vm" column is in KB: but you appear
> to have about 7GB of swap, while the "total_vm" column totals
> to only 3,378,926: so the column might be the number of 4K pages).
>
> A Google search for: xfce4-mixer "memory leak"
> found quite a few hits.
Thanks Martin. Yes that's what's confusing me when I run top or other
tools and sort by memory usage. Even the big boys don't seem to be using
*that* much.

xfce4-mixer is definitely in the frame as a suspect, it's just tricky
trying to devise a testing strategy that doesn't involve switching
something on or off then waiting for a a few hours to see if the swap
usage changes! The trouble is, whenever I think I've found a likely
candidate, and google it along with 'memory leak', practically
everything seems to have some form when it comes to memory leaks.

Dougie