[Durham] Swap fills up then out of memory errors

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Sun Feb 19 09:27:34 UTC 2012

On Saturday 18 Feb 2012 at 17:59, Dougie Nisbet <dougie at highmoor.co.uk> wrote:
> xfce4-mixer is definitely in the frame as a suspect, it's just tricky
> trying to devise a testing strategy that doesn't involve switching
> something on or off then waiting for a a few hours to see if the swap
> usage changes! The trouble is, whenever I think I've found a likely
> candidate, and google it along with 'memory leak', practically
> everything seems to have some form when it comes to memory leaks.

My suggestion is to create a huge swap file, and leave everything running
for a few days. The extra swap should stop OOM killer from doing its thing,
and eventually it should be obvious who is taking all the memory
(it will be the process with an innocent look on its face and memory crumbs
all round its mouth).

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc