[Falkirk] Needing advice.

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue May 4 19:12:32 BST 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 07:06:13PM +0100, Tom Rennie wrote:

>    Someone who lives in the Hamilton area with a good knowledge of what I
>    would need to do. Due to my hobby being photoghrapy including digital
>    I need to be able to configure my system for using Photoshop etc. I am
>    aware that my system could be a dual boot but am not sure whether the
>    best way forward would be to add another H/disc to the system I
>    already have.

Photoshop doesn't normally run under Linux so you have three choices:

1) Run Photoshop under Windows
2) Try and get it working with a WINE product like Crossover under
Linux
3) Learn to use the GIMP

1) is disappointing, 2) is a hassle and probably costs money, 3) is
promising, people keep telling me that the GIMP isn't good enough
yet for professional work but it does everything I've ever needed.
Shame about the user interface but.

>    I also have had my disk reformated because of problems I had with
>    M/Softs automatic updates. Having done this I have not reinstalled the
>    M/Soft Word/Excel or indeed any other part of the office
>    programmes.

>    I feel that I would rather use the linux office system and other
>    software to use on a reagular basis. Infact I am looking for Scanner
>    Software, Printing(photoghraphy software. Is ther a software package
>    that would work with photoshop.

By 'the Linux office system' you probably mean OpenOffice which you
can download and use on Windows or GNU/Linux.

http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.1/index.html

>    On my return from holiday I am possible going to get broadband, as you
>    see I am with freeserve any views on A better  ISP

Freeserve are probably as good as most, ADSL works fine with any
operating system as long as it's not a USB modem.

If someone organises a meeting (whatever happened to Phil's internet
cafe?) we could have an installfest with your machine.

Jonathan Riddell