[Falkirk] Growing the group

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:32:20 UTC 2014

On 3 November 2014 11:22, Callum Scott <scott.callum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone apart from you and Linus Torvalds actually use Google+ any more?
> :p

I find the level of *technical* discussion to be excellent on G+. It
might not be the same audience as the Herald, but we want to attact
many different types to our LUG, right? :P

> From my experience with the Herald with Scouts and the Lug, you need to make
> sure there is something interesting for them to talk about.  Simply saying
> that there is a meeting on is not good enough.  They also tend to just make
> shit up, so you need to make sure the have a reasonably narrow thing to talk
> about. You may want to pair that up with a talk that has a broader appeal.
> (I should probably have done that with the Patrick Harvie meet, but meh).
> Additionally, something I never worked out how to do, was to get the group
> into the reguluar "Whats On" pages, which list all the local groups and
> where and when they meet.

Good tips. I suspect we don't have much new to add to the story they
ran a while back, but investigating the What's On column sounds
promising.

> Tony Dyer is Mr Linux at the Collage, maybe Colin can help with getting the
> group a presence on the Falkirk and Stirling Campuses?

Good thinking, I'll raise that with Colin tonight.

Greg