[Falkirk] September 1st Meet - Craig Skinner - "Serving & resolving domain names"

Craig Skinner skinner at britvault.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 12:38:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-25 Tue 23:55 PM |, Greg Sutcliffe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This month, one of our regulars has kindly agreed to give us a talk on
> DNS. Craig sent this abstract along:
>
> A practical look at live servers running both NSD & Unbound chrooted,
> in master & slave scenarios, emulating BIND's split horizon views
> arrangement, for the public Internet and a private LAN.

Rather than use slides, the plan is to sit around the table &
ssh to a couple of DNS servers for a dig about.

After a bit of a struggle with my netbook's WiFi, it turns out there is
a BIOS bug - it worked rather erratically under Win7. Several sites
helpfully suggested stripping the laptop down & fiddling with a couple
of internals. This enabled the WiFi light to come on - twice. But
nothing else. A friend on another list had the same problem. Sigh....

I'll bring a long ethernet cable & hope there's a socket somewhere in
the room. If people could bring along some USB WiFi sticks, that would
be great. I'll also bring an ethernet cross over cable, in case someone
can share their laptop's WiFi out their ethernet port.