[Glastonbury] The openCD

nick irwin nirwin at pulbah.plus.com
Wed Aug 25 13:10:30 BST 2004

I love that idea.

I have never heard of the "openCD" but I'm pretty sure I can have a guess as
to it's contents.
A lot of people are not even aware that there is an open software community
out there, I certainly wasn't until I met Martin.
So introducing people to free software so they don't feel they have to get a
copy of MS Word just to write a letter, can do nothing but good.

As to your method of going about it, I applaud your efforts, I am doubtful
that any Supermarkets will take up the offer as they are often impersonal and
care only about profits, but if they do take up the offer, it would be a huge
bonus.
A more likely option would be small businesses like newsagents or off-licenses
who would probably love the idea of being able to give the customer a free CD
of computer software, granted you wouldn't cover a big area as you would with
a supermarket, but if it works we could get some of the other LUG's working
on it in their areas.
The only trouble with that is covering the cost of production, so maybe you
could look into getting some company to pay for production costs and in
return you could slap their logo and e-mail address on the disk cover? (A
sort of sponsorship if you will)

Well let me know how it goes.