[members at lugog] Introduction:

Jake Davies jdavies.thfc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 20:25:17 UTC 2010

On 25/11/10 17:17, jason trunks wrote:
> Wow, I really opened up a can of worms there didn't I?!
> Sorry! My 'newbie distro' comment was just a casual one, not intended
> to start any flame-wars or any overly-serious debates!
>
> It was just in reference to the way that some people in the *nix
> community tend to look down on Ubuntu and Ubuntu users as if they are
> inferior!  Basically in my own self-deprecating style I was saying to
> anybody who might hold that kind of opinion that "Yes, I know you view
> me as a clueless fool for using Ubuntu, but I don't care, I happen to
> like the OS!" heh heh! :)
>
> Of course, that's not to say that there actually IS anybody here who
> holds that opinion of Ubuntu users!
>
> Personally I'll use any distro that works best for me and my hardware.
> And from a productivity viewpoint; out of of all the distro's I've
> tried so far, I find it far quicker to get my preferred development
> environment set-up and running in Ubuntu. However, given my history I
> don't tend to stick with any distro for TOO long.
> I spent a year and a half or so as a Fedora user, then I switched to
> OpenSuse for a few months before settling into Ubuntu for just over
> two years and counting. And in that entire time I've tried LiveCD's
> and installs of countless distros on my test machines. But for some
> reason, I always seem to favour the Debian and Debian-derived
> distro's, Ubuntu in particular.... I'm not sure what it is about them!
>
> Oh and in case anybody was wondering, I don't use Linux
> professionally. At work I have to use Windows (not my choice!). But I
> run Linux on all of my home PCs. I've got a laptop and a tablet PC for
> my programming projects and for general family/day to day use (both
> running Ubuntu for the last couple of years) and an old desktop and
> laptop which I use for trying out different distros and generally
> tinkering about with. So I've got plenty of scope to mess around with
> different flavours of *nix! (when I have time!)
>
> Anyway, apologies if I caused any offense or outrage in my previous
> post. I assure you none was meant!
> And apologies again if there was anything contentious in this post!
>

> Cheers for now,
> Jas.

> User group website: http://www.lugog.org.uk/
I think I unintentionally opened that can or worms, or did I? ;-) To
keep this short and sweet, I think to sum it up you can look at the
communities rather than the distros from a technical perspective. The
Ubuntu forums have a lot of people that really don't know what they're
talking about. You tend to get much better responses on the harder to
use distros. I think the worst thing about Linux (or GNU/Linux if you
prefer) is the tribalism. I think of lot of people forget most of us
either want to get on with our work or watch stupid youtube videos
rather than configure text files or compile X

--
DAV09111955
D. Jake Davies