[Gllug] Icewm

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Mon Aug 26 10:52:38 UTC 2002

> eeek, only 8mb swap, you really might want to stick to the
> old twice ram size
> for swap, kernel does some funny things when it decides to
> swap out, and it
> will swap somthing even if you have lots of ram free, 8mb is
> a bit too close to
> the line imo,

hmm.. only time I'm going into swap is when this mem leak gets too big
(definitely dillo causing the problem), don't have any spare partition
to make it bigger. Only made it 8Mb because with 192Mb ram I didn't
expect the system to need it, everything I have read about swap size
being double is only for smaller amounts of ram.  Swap being double the
ram comes from the days when you had 32Mb or so and it was cheaper to
use swap than put more RAM in.  My understanding is the idea now is to
have small swap and keep an eye on it, if you are dipping into it buy
more RAM.  Then I'm only  relatively new user (particularly with X on
Linux) that just reads a lot and not a lot of practical experience.  I
read a lot about this when I set up our server with 1GB ram and wasn't
keen on allocating 1GB swap, I think I put 5Mb swap on which was never
touched.  Sold the server and use a managed service now.  I am aware X
uses a lot more memory than a headless server so maybe I should have
allocated more swap for my desktop?

Getting closer to jumping into compiling things, might have to do this
to fix the dillo mem leak problem.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk