[Gllug] Icewm

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Mon Aug 26 12:35:45 UTC 2002

Steve Nicholson(steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com)@Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:52:38AM +0100:
> > eeek, only 8mb swap, you really might want to stick to the
> > old twice ram size
> > for swap, kernel does some funny things when it decides to
> > swap out, and it
> > will swap somthing even if you have lots of ram free, 8mb is
> > a bit too close to
> > the line imo,
>
> hmm.. only time I'm going into swap is when this mem leak gets too big
> (definitely dillo causing the problem), don't have any spare partition
> to make it bigger. Only made it 8Mb because with 192Mb ram I didn't

thats not a great deal of ram for a desktop.  you should create more
swap.  you don't need to have a partition for it, but it would be faster
if you did.  read the man pages for mkswap(8) and swapon(8), they tell
you how to add more swap using a file in the file system.

> expect the system to need it, everything I have read about swap size
> being double is only for smaller amounts of ram.  Swap being double the
> ram comes from the days when you had 32Mb or so and it was cheaper to
> use swap than put more RAM in.  My understanding is the idea now is to
> have small swap and keep an eye on it, if you are dipping into it buy
> more RAM.  Then I'm only  relatively new user (particularly with X on
> Linux) that just reads a lot and not a lot of practical experience.  I
> read a lot about this when I set up our server with 1GB ram and wasn't
> keen on allocating 1GB swap, I think I put 5Mb swap on which was never
> touched.  Sold the server and use a managed service now.  I am aware X
> uses a lot more memory than a headless server so maybe I should have
> allocated more swap for my desktop?

yes.

the last thing you want to run out of is memory, not everyone writes
programs that graciously shutdown when malloc et al fail.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 A promiscuous person is someone who is getting more sex than you are
 -- Victor Lownes

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk