[Gllug] I APOLOGISE

Karen Hanna Kruzycka Vixen at lspace.org
Tue Feb 12 09:18:17 UTC 2002

At 08:46 12/02/2002 +0000, Richard wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:50:41PM +0000, Karen Hanna Kruzycka wrote:
> > At 22:41 11/02/2002 +0000, David wrote:
> >
> > >Why should we go out of our way to protect people who are too stupid to
> > >know who they're emailing?  I for one check the To: line before sending.

> and
> > not a personal addy?
>
>Because [Gllug] is in the subject line of the message?
>
>Because I get shedloads of mail in a separate gllug folder?
>
>Because I remember subscribing to a list with that address?[0]

I didn't ask 'How do I recognise posts from a mailing list to which I am
subscribed?'.

>Sure, it could be an individual, but after 3 yes answers I start to
>suspect that it isn't.
>
>[0] Well technically I don't, but I could probably find the
>subscription notification somewhere.

No, you're missing my point. David said that he always looks at the To:
line, which is fair enough. But I don't see why that _alone_ would tell a
person that they're mailing a whole list, rather than one individual. If we
separate the misdemeanour into two here: the first is this 'proactively
looking' bollocks which actually means spamming, and that is inexcusable.
The other is sending to a mailing list, rather than an individual, by
accident - which is IMO a mistake which you don't have to be stupid to make.

Not a problem if people can't post from non-subscribed addresses, of
course. A moderator could always approve the others if they seemed
legitimate/of interest.

Karen/Vodka Vixen
--
* "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * August 16th-19th, 2002 *
*  Web: http://www.dwcon.org/ * Email: info at dwcon.org  *

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk