OT: Voting and whatnot (was Re: [Gllug] UK Government software)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Jul 11 09:15:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:36:19PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> writes:
>
> > I have no objection to working with these people though for the
> > 'common good' even if I am not quiet sure what that is.  Voting for
> > these people however gives me a gut instinct of 'wrongness' that no
> > rational debate has yet been able to overcome.
>
> Like the man said: falling turnout at elections is not a sign that
> people find it harder to go and vote: but it is a sign that people find
> it harder to find someone to vote for...

There are two options, then. Deliberately spoiling your ballot (to
indicate that you've been, you've voted and seen nothing you like) or
start a campaign for "RON"[1] If RON gets a majority, then it's
obvious that none of the candidates appeal.

On a related note, voter apathy is going to hurt us all. I recently
faxed my MP about id cards (sorry, "entitlement" cards) Apparently, I
was the only dissenting voice of the 58 people that have written to
him about it. This was in Ealing, and I imagine that there are somewhat
more than 60 people who vote and will be affected by them in the area,
not all of whom are aware of the issues. Despite this, as far as our
MP is concerned, we're all for it.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Re-Open Nominations

--
"For non-deterministic read 'Inhabited by pixies.'"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk