[Gllug] UK Government software

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Jul 10 19:53:54 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:36:19PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> writes:

> > If I turned up at her surgery I figure I would of done more harm than
> > good since she would of twigged pretty quickly that I was a black flag
> > waving non voter and therefore of little value to her.
>
> Well, since that matches both my job description and appearance, I call
> Kropotkin and raise you Angel Alley... Realistically, a politician can't
> afford to offend a voter - even one that might not vote. Turning up at
> the surgery pretty much guarantees they have to listen to you - or have
> you ejected by force, which looks Really Bad when it turns up in the
> mejah.

I will see your Kropotkin with a Reclus and raise you The Anarchist Book
Fair. ;P  Greeting and Peace. :)

> > I have no objection to working with these people though for the
> > 'common good' even if I am not quiet sure what that is.  Voting for
> > these people however gives me a gut instinct of 'wrongness' that no
> > rational debate has yet been able to overcome.

Speaking of working with these people has anyone seen this article in
todays Register.

Also this is the original article in EDP24 The site where Norfolk news
really matters.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/NewsStory.asp?Brand=EDPONLINE&Category=NEWS&ItemId=NOED10+Jul+2002+00%3A28%3A57%3A447

If this man could be turned onto Free Software he could be a useful
ally.  Maybe some one from one of the Big Commercial distros such as
SuSE or Red Hat could write him a nice letter explaining alternatives
maybe he would be interested.

> Like the man said: falling turnout at elections is not a sign that
> people find it harder to go and vote: but it is a sign that people find
> it harder to find someone to vote for...

Unfortunately it is not what the man on News at 10 says though.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk