[Gllug] Pcline modem - HELP!

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Mon May 13 20:57:16 UTC 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 05:26:24PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 17:00, David Lloyd wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry to be a nuisance but i am at the end of my tether here. I have been searchinf for ages to try anf find a driver for a PCWorld pcline modem driver.
> > If you have one, could you lpease please send it to me. Or a link to a website where I can contact pcline.
> >
> Jim Bailey recently had some progress with a winmodem -
> care to comment Jim?

I got a Hamcore or something like that sort of working under Linux but
it sucked big time non of the standard tools for configuring modems
under Linux worked properly and I had to to mess about doing most stuff
by hand, it was an interesting learning experience. 8-#

> If you feel up to it, and want to at least have a try at
> getting it working, here is the place to start
> http://www.linmodems.org
>
> Best advice I would have is to (sadly) ditch it and get
> a hardware modem. The group will give you advice on
> what to buy here - even better go for an external
> serial port modem (that is what I had to do in the
> end over Christmas).

I whole heartedly agree with John here buy an external modem TCR
computer fairs charge about 35UKP for a no name brand up to about 50UKP
for an intel or US Robotics job.  One word of warning however be very
careful about buying cheap internal 'hardware' modems from some traders,
they either don't have a clue or they are deliberately trying to
mislead.  One guy showed me that it was a 'hardware modem' by showing me
the PCI card and saying look hardware, honestly some people. :-)

> BTW, anyone had good success with USB modems on Linux?

A quick check of my site of the week http://www.linux-usb.org shows lots
of support for a number of V90 and broadband modems.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk