[Gllug] Star Wars on digital screen

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu May 23 14:14:40 UTC 2002

John Hearns(john.hearns at cern.ch)@Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:56:51PM +0200:
> boring tecchy question.
> Anyone know how they get the data to the cinemas?
> I've been interested in digital cinema for yonks.
>
> Last time around, with Episode 1 I remember reading that RAID array(s)
> were freighted in to the Empire, Leicester square with the data
> pre-loaded.
>
> I gues this time round though, as Vince surmises, DVDs are
> shipped out.
>
> Anyone know for sure? DVDs? Satellite downlinks?
> Big fat IP pipes?

the pre-pre trailer said that the films were 'downloaded from satelites'
now that could be streamed or offlined.  i'd bet the latter, for the
time being.  oh, they also mentioned it was *encrypted*, and that any
anarcho-pinko's caught trying to view it without paying GL money would
have their hands cut off.

personally, i reckon GL's produced it on DVD, and he sends out ninja body
guards to watch over them.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN RUN\DOS\RUN