[Gllug] Re: Debian hopeless

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Mar 8 10:25:30 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Garry Heaton announce to the hordes:
> Debian detected the VIA-rhine ethernet contoller but then claimed it
> couldn't load a module for it. Work that one out. Even worse, I selected
> Partition Disk and nothing happened. Straight back to the menu.

This is quite common in ethernet cards in my experience.
What happens is, the manufacturers make a new revision of the chipset, which
stops it from being recognised by older kernels. (I've seen this happen a
few times with the sis900 chipset)

All you'll need to do is install a newer kernel (2.4.25's the newest 2.4)
and all will be well again.

2.4.18 is well old now. (which is the 2.4 that comes with debian woody...
Dunno what sarge includes though)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk