[Gllug] Fedora or Fed-up

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri May 28 12:08:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:59:48PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> Amias Channer wrote:
> >  Hello Glluggers ,
> >
> >  I'm in need of a new distro , my redhat 9 system is starting to drift
> > away
> >  from the back of the cutting edge since it got end of life'd and i'm
> >  thinking about moving to Fedora Core 2 .
> >
> <SNIP>
> >
> >  I have another box which does all the server functions for me so i
> >  just want a comfy desktop to use the other box from , play mp3's ,
> > watch tv/dvds , browse the web , write perl in emacs , bit of gimping
> >  , OOo , IRC , hopefully some audio stuff and network monitoring.
> <SNIP>
> >
> >  What have other Redhat 9 users done in this situation ?
> >

> I moved to FC1 for a while but was fed-up of scratching around for packages
> when I wanted to install stuff and, quite irrationally I know, didn't feel
> happy using apt configured to grab packages from various apparently personal
> package repositories all over the Net.  I'm not really sure what else made

I've been using APT on both Fedora & RHEL-3 pointing to the Dag Wieers
repository & have found the packages to be very reliable indeed. Compatability
and quality is a very important factor for the maintainers

<quote src=http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/>
together with FreshRPMS, Newrpms, Dries and ATrpms, we're working to
guarantee compatibility throughout this joint effort and towards a merge.
</quote>

Dan.