[Gllug] DVD burning

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sat May 29 13:03:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:09:38PM +0100, will wrote:

For writing DVDs, I do it directly with mkisofs and cdrecord. You need
to run cdrecord in DAO mode, and you'll need the right version of
cdrecord, and the license key.

There's something in the cdrecord manpage about how to tell cdrecord in
advance about how big the image is, although maybe if you're burning
from a file, rather than piping it to cdrecord, it doesn't matter.

try cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -dao -v -eject file.iso

The ATAPI bit only works on 2.6.x kernels IIRC. You no longer need the
ide-scsi emulation, and can burn straight over ATAPI - apparently this
lets you use DMA whereas you couldn't before, but I never checked this.

> Also, what drives have people on the list had luck with?

Mine's a DWU-14A, with the firmware upgraded to:
hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-510A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

I haven't unlocked the drive yet though. A project for today, perhaps.

--
Russell Howe     | Why be just another cog in the machine,
rhowe at wiss.co.uk | when you can be the spanner in the works?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk