[Gllug] Oddball boot problem when adding extra hard disk

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sat Aug 11 09:39:21 UTC 2007

I recently encountered a bizarre problem involving GRUB.

It's been threatening for months but my partner's WinXP box broke down
yesterday. Not sure if the problem is purely software or a hardware
problem, but before doing anything else I decided to save a copy of the
contents of the hard disk.

My normal layout is:

hda - primary master on HPT302 card
hdb - spare
hdc - spare
hdd - spare
hde - DVD-ROM
hdf - spare
hdg - DVD+-RW/RAM
hdh - spare

(I have it like this mainly to have spare space for emergency use, and
also because I believe it's efficient. Everything is set to CS and
80-way cables suitably configured are in use.)

When I connected the drive from the XP box as hdc, all the machine would
do was repeat:

GRUB GRUB Loading stage1.5.

When connected as hdh, it worked.

What does that "error" from GRUB mean?

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk