[Gllug] So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Aug 2 22:01:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:24:19PM +0100, Rich wrote:
> "Paul M" <tallus at gmail.com> writes:
>

> > If you just want to be able to look up records DNSCache [1]  does this
> > well.
>
> On Debian, I use pdnsd to handle a local name server serving an
> imaginary domain (shadow.local) as well as getting real names from the
> DNS.
>
> The configuration file is pretty simple to edit: you describe each name
> server like this

If the op wants to keep it simple, just install the bind9 package on a
local linux box and then use it as a nameserver instead of using your
ISP's nameservers.  Yes, there are more resource efficient ways to do it
but they all require more research and knowledge and time than the op
may care to invest.  The bind9 package will automatically set up the
list of root nameservers etc and do the right thing.  Left alone, it is
no more likely to go wrong than any other dns solution that can easily
be installed.

--
Bruce

Explota!: miles de lemmings no pueden estar equivocados.