[Gllug] pata software Raid

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Aug 9 15:10:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Peter Ball wrote:

> I'm putting together a couple of Raid 5 boxes using recycled components
> using the Root-on- LVM-on-RAID-HOWTO.
>
> The Software-RAID-HOWTO gives very good reasons why not to put 2 ide disks on the
> same bus.
>
> However is there any reason why you shouldn't put a cd or dvd as a secondary on one of
> the buses ?
>
> Does it make any difference if you use a (presumably faster) dvd instead of a cd drive ?

So long as you are not using the device it's safe enough.

> Does it make any difference if you pull out the cd drive after installing the OS ?

None at all. Your system should be configured such that removable media
will not be mounted unless actually there.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk