[Gllug] pata software Raid

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.net
Thu Aug 9 16:02:54 UTC 2007

On 9 Aug 2007 at 16:10, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Peter Ball wrote:
>
> > I'm putting together a couple of Raid 5 boxes using recycled
> > components using the Root-on- LVM-on-RAID-HOWTO.
> >
> > The Software-RAID-HOWTO gives very good reasons why not to put 2 ide
> > disks on the same bus.
> >
> > However is there any reason why you shouldn't put a cd or dvd as a
> > secondary on one of the buses ?
> >
> > Does it make any difference if you use a (presumably faster) dvd
> > instead of a cd drive ?
>
> So long as you are not using the device it's safe enough.
>
> > Does it make any difference if you pull out the cd drive after
> > installing the OS ?
>
> None at all. Your system should be configured such that removable
> media will not be mounted unless actually there.

I could be (and probably am) wrong but my understanding was that problems could arise at
the level of the controller chip below the level that the OS can see.  I seem to remember
that the ide bus is slowed down by the slowest device on it.  What I don't know is whether a
modern cd say 52x or dvd say 16x will slow down transfer of data to a pata133 hard disk on
the same cable.

Maybee I should use some tests from the Ultimate Boot cd to do some tests whilst I've got
the kit in bits on my bench and its easy to try permutations.

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk