[Gllug] More ISP 'choice': Bulldog LLU unable to give MAC codes

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 19:41:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:56:12PM +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> Have finally persuaded Bulldog Broadband to accept the Royal Order of
> the Boot. Both short-listed replacements (one LLU, one on top of BT)
> advised that I obtain a MAC code as their means of taking over from
> Bulldog (specifically).
>
> Bulldog's Cancellation Team would only gave me a "Cancellation
> Reference Number". I firmly requested a MAC code anyway, but the guy I
> spoke to read out an email he claimed is the response if he requests
> MACs on LLU lines: <<It is not possible to generate a MAC code for LLU
> as it is incompatible with BT's migration process>>*
>
> I'm bemused: are they saying BT doesn't handle MAC codes? Doesn't BT
> OpenWave (?correct name) administer the last mile? So with whom does
> Bulldog/C&W/Pipex/Tiscali have to be "compatible" if not BT? Is this
> "Cancellation Reference" a MAC code sufficient unto the purposes of
> other ISPs/LLUs or is it a device whereby I end up paying a lot more
> to have my connection changed-over?
> =dn

I dumped a Bulldog LLU setup about a year ago!

What I did was phone BT and tell them I wanted to migrate my phone from
Bulldog to them as a 'return to donor'. They gave me an activation time
and data a fortnite hence[1]. No activation charge or long contract.

Then when you get your BT line back you, you can arrange a new ADSL of
your choice ( BT, BT reseller or LLU of your choice). This takes another
7 days so you're a week without ADSL.

[1] Actually BT cocked up here forgetting to tell BT that they were
taking back the line so I lost another 2 weeks but at least they were
very apologetic about it.

Frank
--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk