[Gllug] So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Fri Aug 3 15:30:51 UTC 2007

John G Walker wrote:

> Personal recommendations are the way for me to go, here, so does anyone
> have one?

I have been very happy with Zen's technical performance.  I originally
selected them as they offered static IP address blocks, and there
weren't many ISPs who were offering that without charging significantly
more.  In the four to five years that I've been with them, there have
been two outages I remember--the longest of four hours.  That particular
outage was at the local exchange, where BT was having problems with
their kit.  (I've not put any specific monitoring on my connection's
status, other than using it a lot. ;-))  Since it has worked so well,
the business hours only support limitation hasn't been a big deal.

I do suffer intermittent problems with my connectivity falling over, but
that appears to be a problem with my Vigor ADSL router and its WiFi.  I
live in Windsor, under the flight path of Heathrow, and planes flying
over sometimes make the WiFi signal fall over--and sometimes the router
itself does a full reset...

Zen's billing used to be a problem for me, but now that I've moved to
direct debit it is working very smoothly.

Alan

--
Alan Peery                | Wisdom consists of knowing when to avoid
Systems Integrator        | perfection.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk