[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff - Was: So no one has opinions about ISPs?

john at sinodun.org.uk john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Aug 3 12:45:07 UTC 2007

DL Neil wrote:
[snip]
> There seems to be no way to stop a Maestro repeated payment - indeed
> is there even a way to stop a single transaction
> magically/accidentally becoming a repeating payment? At least with a
> Direct Debit one can go online and cancel the arrangement (but can the
> other party then reinstate it without reference on the basis of the
> original signed document?).

For repeating payments, a direct debit is *much* safer than using either a
debit or credit card.  I would never authorise any repeating transactions
on a card simply because of the lack of the means to cancel the
authorisation.

With DD, if a transaction goes through which you don't like then you
simply instruct your bank to reverse it and under the terms of the DD
mandate they must do it.  You don't have to provide any evidence of it
being erroneous - just say that you want it reversed.  Some bank wombles
aren't aware of the rules but if you insist then they will do it.

I've had to do it on a number of occasions, not least when Demon's
accounts department went completely rogue a few years ago.

I generally find that credit card companies too will reverse a transaction
if you query it, but you don't have quite the same level of guarantee.
You may also have to go through an enquiry process before it happens.
With the DD this is all short-circuited - as soon as you ask for the
reversal it must happen, with the bank dealing with the originator of the
charge later in the background.

Of course, if as a result of reversing a DD transaction you have failed to
honour a legitimate debt then all the usual measures may be used to get
you to pay.  I wouldn't advise doing it if you don't have a good case.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk