[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff - Was: So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Aug 3 10:26:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, DL Neil wrote:

> Similarly I have found component suppliers 'dipping into' my
> Switch/Maestro account after over-refunding me; and when Bulldog was
> leashed to Pipex they set up a new Direct Debit Agreement without
> reference to me (not so bad, but the old one was left 'alive' and thus
> left me exposed to 'double-dipping').

If a merchant does this they are acting unlawfully - perhaps even
committing a criminal offence. A direct debit mandate is an instruction to
your bank from you and when you supply the mandate to the merchant they
are only authorised to present it in accordance with your authorisation to
do so. If you cancel the mandate they do not have authorisation to set up
a new one unless you specifically ask them to.

If you find this has happened to you complain to your bank and demand
refund of any money taken through the unauthorised mandate.

> Which regular payment method is the safest/least exposed to supplier
> arrogance/abuse, that at the same time is acceptable to suppliers?

Direct debit is fairly good in that there are protections in law which do
not exist with other methods.

I know a lot of people dislike Paypal but I'd say for one off payments it
and services like it are ideal if the merchant will accept as the merchant
doesn't get your card details and cannot make additional charges.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk