[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff - Was: So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 4 20:13:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 16:39 +0100, Alex Crow wrote:
> Well, you could I suppose fly to the US/Japan/Taiwan and buy a fair pile
> of stuff and hope the customs don't notice (they mostly dont't seem to
> know what the stuff is on the X-ray machine - just say it's computer kit
> going for repair and they let it through). It worked for me when the
> "Coppermine" processors came out - stayed a week in LA with my uncle,
> came back with a CPU, mobo and RAM that would have cost me nearly £500
> in the UK. US price was about $350. Rate at the time was about 1.5.

Yeah but I bet your flight and expenses cost more than you saved. As an
individual I only ever import little things anyway.

I suspect they might be quite arsey now about electronic equipment in
case it blows up. This may depend on whether you fit their profile I
guess - I suspect a 20 something Asian male would be doomed...

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk