[Gllug] Combined phone and broadband in the Barnet Area

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 20:27:17 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, John Winters wrote:
>
>> A trick I used to use in the days I moved house more often was always to
>> request a re-connection rather than an installation.  Unless it's a new
>> build house (not likely in the bracket I was working in) there's almost
>> certain to be some sort of phone wiring already in the building.  Make
>> sure there's a phone (wire one in yourself if necessary) and then
>> request a re-connection.  Once the job had been entered into the system
>> as a re-connection (at a much smaller charge) it didn't seem to matter
>> how much work they had to do - the price didn't go up.  I don't know
>> whether it would still work these days.
>
> That wont work for those who are getting a BT line after having had a line
> provided by an LLU provider in the past (or where the previous occupent
> had that) as BT do actually have to get an engineer to do some work beyond
> typing a command on a keyboard.

It may well be different if you have an existing record of service with
BT at that address, but it *isn't* (or at least, wasn't) a function of
whether or not BT have any physical work to do.  I've had chaps up poles
all down the road to fulfil a "re-connection" order.  What matters isn't
how much work there is but what the person taking the order categorises
it as.

As I said, it's over 10 years since I've used this method but it's worth
a try.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk