[Gllug] Linux on Dell

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 11:22:02 UTC 2007

Anyone else priced up the Dell linux solutions yet?

I'm not sure what they're trying to pull, but it doesn't look like a good
deal to me. Me thinks they've had some input from Microsoft on the
pricing. Example, speccing both machines with 1GB RAM, Celeron M 520 CPU,
80GB HD, DVD+-RW, 9 cell battery, 1 year RTB:

1. Business Inspiron 6400 - WinXP
       £400 Inclusive VAT and shipping.
2. Home Inspiron 6400n    - Ubuntu Linux
       £440 Inclusive VAT and shipping.

Doesn't seem much of a deal to me.

And £60 for shipping? Wow, didn't realise all of Dell's margins were in
the shipping and handling.

I think I'll continue searching for a new laptop.

Christian

--
     /"\
     / \