[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

Panos Savvas pasavvas.accounts at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:31:44 UTC 2007

> Now there is an interesting idea! I could see all sorts of organisations
> doing free recycling:
>
> google
> MI5
> mafia
> crackers-R-us

Har har :)

i meant regarding the recycling of the discs. I would never chuck a disc I
hadn't overwritten several times. However recycling IT equipment seems a no
brainer, they enviromental impact of bazillions of home pcs and obsolete
office machines is pretty serious. Thats why I have every bit of hardware I
have ever owned (= i have been to lazy to find out how to recycle them).
Plus the metals in use make it economicaly viable to do so (?).

I spent a few months workign for the cyprus energy board as a student
placement. They asked me to recycle all their old office pcs to give to
charity with a basic install of win/office. I asked the IT manager if I
should be securelly overwritting their discs first. He said, "the kids at
the charities would not know how to get the deleted data off" :)