[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff - Was: So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 4 14:48:23 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 15:35 +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 01:06:11AM +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
> >
> > Paypal is good for international payments as there is no fee for a non
> > GBP payment. Banks have a habit of charging you ?1.50 or something for
> > non sterling payments which on little payments is unacceptable.
>
> I'd love to find some bank that'll do international payments for 1.50. Last
> time I tried, an IBAN/SWIFT transfer cost around 20. This was a bit irritating
> when I was trying to pay for about 15 of goods, so I ended up using Paypal.
>
> Dan

This was on a debit card and i may have misremembered the figure. I can
cope with % fees but not minimum charges as I deal with such tiny
amounts.

Related to this I noticed that Royal Mail are now charging an £8 flat
handling fee for items that have customs charges, on top of whatever you
have to pay customs. Customs charges start on goods that cost about £18
IIRC. Don't go taking advantage of the pound/dollar exchange rate will
you..

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk